Skip to main content

Happy Siblings Day

April 10th is celebrated as Siblings Day in the US. Being an only child I always craved to have a sibling. I would imagine what it would be like to have an older brother. Despite having many cousins who I grew up with and am very close to even today, having my own sibling was always a dream. So I hoped to have 2 children of my own. Luckily for me, my husband was more keen on having two kids. 

After my son R was born, we hoped to complete the family with a little girl. God was very kind and blessed me with a daughter S exactly 3 years later. Of course I went through all the insecurities that my little boy had once he found out that there was a baby in mamma's tummy. Soon after S was born, all his insecurities vanished and he started to play the role of the older brother.....at 3 years old.

Over the last 19 months I have experienced the care, love, fights, jealousy and everything that comes with having a sibling. I went from being a mother to being a referee literally.....and S is only 20 months old! But I wouldn't change a thing. They are the greatest blessings that God has showered upon me and I am eternally grateful. 

R and I have our most meaningful conversations at night while I'm putting him to bed. Thats when he usually opens up and talks about "stuff" as he likes to call it. He's been hearing the Rapunzel story at school this month and was narrating the story to me the other night. It starts off with a witch taking away the baby of a vegetable vendor. He told me the entire story and then was quiet for sometime. I thought he was falling asleep. But suddenly he asks me "Mamma no one will take away my baby will they?" So I said "Who is your baby R?" and he gave me the best reply ever..."S is my baby Mamma, please make sure no one takes her away from me or else we will have to go to the hospital to get another baby, but I like S the best." 

I slept with a smile that night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Desert Rose

When the hubby suggested an overseas holiday with 2 preschoolers, I laughed at him until I had tears streaming down my face. Was he really serious? The 2 of us alone with the 2 of them for 8 long days. Maybe he had been working too long and too hard. Did he forget that our house looked like a hurricane had hit every weekend!

Maybe it was too early in the morning and he was sleep talking. A cup of coffee later, a picture of the many possible disastrous outcomes of this idea were painted but he stood his ground. Then like a typical Indian "Ma" I used the last resort I could, to change his mind....."what will I feed them there!?"

But as days went by, swayed by the phoren shopping promises and all that we could "see and do," I too was bitten by the travel bug and the deal was sealed. Tickets were booked and hotel reservations made. Only thing left now was the to pray to all the Indian Gods to help maintain my sanity.

All pandemonium broke loose 4 days before…

Ronav’s first experience with Canvas painting

Back in January this year, Ronav’s grandparents gifted him an easel, canvas papers and paints.  We spent one Saturday afternoon creating this finger painting. He painted the entire thing himself with a few inputs from me.  At that time he had little knowledge of what the roots of trees really do. So when I explained the roots help in anchorage and nutrition, he made them round and big to give his trees maximum nutrients.  He also painted two suns. When I asked him the reason for doing that, this was his explanation “One sun is up in the sky to give us light and one sun is close to my trees to help them grow stronger and  taller quickly.” The imaginative minds of young kids!  Needless to say that we have saved this one! 





A Dentist’s Views On Childrens Dental Care - An interview by KanikaG

When an author and blogger friend approached me to shed light on some dental issues for kids for her blog, I wondered if I could do justice to her questions.

Kanika G is a mother of 2 witty and beautiful girls. She herself is a physicist and a published author and blogs at Mom’s Best Friend. A must visit to read lovely children's stories, picture books, parenting blog posts, short stories for grown ups, articles pertaining to women's issues, recipes, poetry and more.

This is the interview and you can read all about it here too. KanikaG has asked all these questions and I’ve tried my best to address them to the best my knowledge and ability. 
Thank you KanikaG for this! 



How long have you been a practicing dentist and how often do you work with kids?I have been into private practice close to 15 years now and work closely with kids almost on a daily basis in the form of providing them dental treatment at my clinic and conducting dental camps and lectures at schools. When should paren…